You wouldn’t think this, given the way I toss my life about on the Internet, but I’m actually quite fond of privacy. Back in my shrinking days even my phone number was unlisted. All this “oh and here’s something else about my arse” business is quite new for me.
Last year, a large newspaper in my hometown ran an article on me, about how I ditched my safe, conventional life for a somewhat shaky and unconventional one in a medieval town in France. They asked for a picture, I sent them one and then they blew it up to cover half the page. I was mortified and yet I have that same page (sent by my mother) in my desk drawer.
Now they’re back asking not only for another picture but for another interview. And an interesting interview at that. I had to say yes, the reporter is the same one who connected me with the blook publisher, so not much to think about on that one, right? Anyway, I had to answer 20 questions and in doing so I took yet another step out of my comfort zone. Here’s what I was asked:
- What is your full name?
- Where and when were you born?
- Where is home today?
- What is your favourite food?
- What was your favourite year?
- What are you reading?
- What is your greatest indulgence?
- Do you have a favourite movie?
- Who would play you in a movie about your life?
- What do you like to do when you’re not working?
- What bugs you?
- Where is your favourite vacation spot?
- What are your best and worst qualities?
- Who inspires you?
- What is your most treasured possession?
- Do you have any hidden talents?
- Who would you most/least like to be stuck in an elevator with?
- Who is one person, living or deceased, you’d love to have lunch with?
- If you were the premier of the province, what is one thing you would try to do?
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
I can’t imagine anyone being interested in any of my answers to these questions (maybe you lot and I’ll tell you after they’re published). But I’m very interested in any answers you might have. Go on, answer one, answer all, answer something. Come hang with me, all naked and shivery in the cold blue spotlight that is public disclosure. Put all your stuff out there for everyone to judge and dissect and criticize. You have to admit, I really know how to sell it.